Join us in Bry-sur-Marne, October 2015
On the 8th and the 9th of October 2015 the city of Bry-sur-Marne, France, will host the international conference "The Daguerreotype Symposium 2015", with a series of meetings and events lasting for two days. The symposium is organised by Daguerreobase in collaboration with the European Daguerreotype Association (EDA).
The symposium will be focusing on historical and artisitc aspects of European style daguerreotypes and on best practice in preserving the daguerreotype heritage.
Historians, curators, photographic conservators from all over Europe, from the U.S, the President of the Daguerreian Society, and an Italian contemporary daguerreotypist will be meeting during these two days dedicated to history and preservation of the earliest examples of photography.
On the 8th of October the discussed topic will be Outside the Studio. Landscape and Cityscape Daguerreotypes, and confirmed speakers are Margaret Calvarin, Ken Jacobson, Christophe Mauron, Jeremy Rowe, Steffen Siegel and Beniamino Terraneo.
On the 9th of October we will talk about Preserving Europe’s Earliest Photographs Challenges and Successes Conserving Daguerreotypes throughout Europe. The confirmed speakers are: Caroline Barcella, Jens Gold, Martin Juergens, Stéphanie Ledamoisel, Jérôme Monnier, Sandra M. Petrillo, Klaus Pollmeier and Clara M. Prieto.
During the two days of the symposium it will be possible to view the exhibition “Les dags sortent de leur reserve” presenting exceptional daguerreotypes from the collections of the Musée Adrienne Mentienne in Bry-sur-Marne and the Musée Gatien-Bonnet in Lagny-sur-Marne and to see the only existant Diorama created by Daguerre in the church of Saint-Gervais-Saint Protais in Bry-sur-Marne.
For the symposium event we will have a special printed issue of the online Daguerreotype Journal dedicated to 19th century landscape and cityscape daguerreotypes.
Read the complete Symposium Programme.
- When Photography was a Silver Plate
- The Daguerreotype Collection at the Museum fuer Kunst and Gewerbe, Hamburg
- The National Library celebrates the daguerreotype
- Treasures in the Royal Library of Copenhagen
- The Daguerreobase Project at the Daguerreian Society Symposium in Austin
- Ruskin, a lecture in Oxford by Ken Jacobson
- Raising Awareness in Northern Europe
- Our virtual exhibition on Google Cultural Institute
- Niépce's plates on display at The National Media Museum
- Modern Daguerreotypes of Historic Garden Treasures
- Join us in Bry-sur-Marne, October 2015
- Mirror with a Memory
- In Pasadena, The 2015 Daguerreian Society Symposium
- Images of the past, Reflections on the Present
- Estonian daguerreotypes soon to be published in Daguerreobase
- Daguerres Große Entdeckung. A publication by Peter Wutz
- Daguerreotypes. Europe's Earliest Photographic Records
- Daguerreobase at Daguerreian Society Symposium
- Become a member of the EDA
- Andreas Gruber for STREULICHT N°4
- A German Lady, a new publication by Jochen Voigt
- A Daguerreotype Workshop with Mike Robinson
- "Snap, bang, wallop, what a picture..."